CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Monday, April 19, 2010

How to Make a Pirate Birthday Cake

Okay... so here is a "how -to" for the birthday cake. I got a lot of my ideas at http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/. They have every theme you can imagine and lots of pictures.

First you need a child who will not let you get away with buying a cake or making a traditional stacked cake.
Next, you need a handy husband who can make you an over sized cutting board (turned cake - board) to put your cake on!
Finally, get lots of ideas from the web. I mentioned the website above, but there are many. So just get some inspiration and then go for it.
Bake two sheet cakes in 9 X 13 pans. I choose one chocolate and one yellow.

Ice them with plain vanilla frosting.
This is going to be the ocean - so I tried to make it look wavy - not flat/ smooth.

Spray with Wilton color mist. Come in lots of colors. Buy it at any craft store.
I like the effect better than just blue icing.


Now take two pre- made pound cakes. (Pound cake is denser and easier to ice and from into a shape). I used one large "family size Sarah Lee cake (freezer section) and one regular size Sarah Lee Pound Cake.
Place the large one on the bottom.
Cut the smaller one into three pieces and assemble as seen.
Use skewers to hold it in place.

Now ice it- I used chocolate fudge - to get the darkest brown.
Don't worry right now about getting it super smooth.
Now carefully pick up the pirate ship cake - and place it as seen on to the sheet cakes- so it looks like it is in the water. Push the skewers all the way through to the cutting board.



Now comes the creative part. Using whatever candies and such I found at Target and Michael's I started to "theme" the cake.
Here are some of the things I did...
Brown Sugar to make an Island the boat landed on.
(On the island I also bought a little treasure chest and filled it with unwrapped rolos - since they are wrapped in gold - they looked like treasure).
Oreo Sticks for the sides of the boat.
Unwrapped Rolos- stuck to the side in a row like cannons.
Whoppers piled on board like cannon balls.
Chocolate Twizzlers for detail.
Cut out sails from cardstock and put them on skewers.
Bought crocodile figurine and tube of Pirate figurines at Michael's to complete the look.
Have your best friend wrap it in Saran - Wrap overnight because you are no good at it!
Unwrap in the morning and enjoy your kids excitement!

Finished product.

On a side note - the handy husband also made the dining room table that the cake is sitting on.
Let me know if you try to make the cake.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

very impressive, Shannon!!! We had a pirate themed birthday party for jackson for his 4th. My was NO WHERE near this good.

millie smith said...

i love it! it turned out so great!

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver