If you happen to be wondering, "What is that Wonderful contraption they are in ?". Well, it is a wood play- pen and it is about 60 years old (to my knowledge). My grandmother used this for her four children and I think most of the grandchildren (my generation) used it too.
When we visited with (just) Ethan as a baby , my grandmother suggested getting it up from the basement and using it. Well, I did what any modern mother would do- I scoffed at her. Put my baby in that wooden death trap. I was certain that the playpen would not pass code now - and surely had been recalled in every state multiple times! I looked at it folded in the basement, but never seriously considered subjecting my child to such ... abuse!!
Enter the twins. We arrived at Granny's house (what I call my maternal grandmother) on Wednesday night. John and quickly realized that they would be quite the handful while we were there. They were overly excited and curious about every little thing in my grandmother's house. How can I explain this... they were like babies on crack!
So Wednesday night after we put them to bed I could not stop thinking about what to do with our twins while we were there. I woke the next morning determined to head right out to Target and purchase a SuperYard. My sanity and peace being well worth the 60+ dollars. But, then Thursday morning I remembered the beloved PLAYPEN!!!! After cleaning it up and filling it with all kinds of wonderful toys and kitchen gadgets (their favorite type of "toy")- they loved it- and barely fussed. Just played happily. I may be trying to find one of these on Craigslist!!
So, the moral... do I love my babies any less than Ethan?? Of course not, I laugh at the thought. But, if having twins has done nothing else for me, I has mellowed me to care only about real dangers, not imaginary ones. I have enough to worry about. My children played happily and safely inside those jail bars (Ethan's words - not mine).
Isaac and Livy have their first M&M's at Great Granny's house. This is a right of passage in the Nash family. We all had our first taste of the sweet and crunchy goodness at my Granny's house.
Let's just say they REALLY enjoyed them!
Above my brother Ben, and below my mom and my cousin Katherine. I think everyone is bowling.
Katherine brought the system to my grandmother's. It was a blast.
1 comment:
wow that duse look like you had a lot of fun
Post a Comment