CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This Thing that Changed my Life... aka Dinner Swap

In May, our good friends moved here from Charlottesville. When they moved, Emily told me that she wanted me to start a Greensboro Dinner Swap with her. She had done one in Charlottesville and only had good things to say about it. I have to admit I was hesitant at first- but after having my arm twisted I reluctantly agreed. We convinced two other moms to do it and began this summer.

So... here's how it works... There are four of us and we each make dinner three times a month. But, when we cook we make enough for all four families and deliver the meal to them. So each of us has 12 home cooked meals a month - but only cooked three of them. It's awesome! To only have to cook three times a month and the other nights to have food delivered to us. And, we have been able to try new foods and usually have enough left overs for the week.

Another perk - I only need about 6 good recipes and I can rotate them. So here is what I cooked last week... the recipe is from my friend Kim (a great cook, midwife, mother of five, home-schooler, cool - dresser, and yet does not have a blog!). You should try it- I hate vegetables and even I liked it!

Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

Yield: 2 quarts

Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped
5 celery ribs,
sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 large potato, cut into 1/4-inch
cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
3 1/2 cups chicken
broth
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and
drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup
all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 (16-ounce) loaf
pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
1 (2-ounce) jar diced
pimiento, undrained
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/4
teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
Garnish: celery
leaves

Preparation

Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat,
and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in corn; remove from
heat.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring
until mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Stir in milk
and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Gradually
stir cheese mixture into vegetable mixture.
Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until soup is thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired, and serve
immediately.


On the stove... smelled so hearty...

Ready to be packaged and delivered. I sent along baked potatoes and bread!

Seriously, you should try Emily's great idea. It has changed our whole family! We eat out so much less, save money, and rarely have to think through "What's for dinner!".

2 comments:

The Cox Family said...

What a cool idea! Leave it to Emily to come up with something nifty. :)

I def. want to get one started.

Ali said...

hi! i found your page thru my friend Kristin Capps's page (who i am guessing is one of your friends as well!). anyway, this dinner swap is what caught my eye, and it seems super neat! i was wondering if you could post more about it? like, the schedule, who cooks when, etc...? anything that would help someone start one of these! :) thanks!
alison renfrow

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver