CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Monday, January 12, 2009

Ice Luminaries

A new tradition my mom started (for Christmas) this year was making ice luminaries. At first I was hesitant because I thought it seemed too hard- but actually it was easy and really beautiful. Here are four my mom made for Christmas Eve. Below are directions.
Lighting up my parents front porch. Not a great photo- but I wanted you to see it in the dark.

Up close and personal. My mom added holly and berries to hers for a holiday effect - but you could add anything or just make them solid. Yes, as you can now see the luminary itself is made of ice.


They melted quick on Christmas Eve because it was really warm- but other really cold nights - they barely thawed and we were able to use them twice.

Here are directions for how to make your own (and I mean they are EASY and CHEAP- the main ingredient being water!)

http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/LifeinNewEngland-Ice-Luminaries.html

On the website the use buckets as the "mold", but my mom used an orange juice container for the large mold and a half and half container for the small mold. Way to recycle, mom!




2 comments:

Amy said...

Luminaries are my absolute favorite Christmas decoration! Thanks for the tip...I can't wait to make them next year!

Melissa said...

those are beautiful!! i can't wait to start a new tradition! ;)

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver