CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Friday, October 5, 2007

Rice Cereal

After six months of only breast milk (and the occasional bottle) the babies are all dressed up and ready for their first experience with "real" food (if you can even call it that).
I have to say it was bittersweet to see them take their first taste.
Even though these first six months have been excruciatingly difficult and I have been so delighted that they are growing up and able to do so much more and survive without feeding constantly or always wanting to be held, it is still so sad to say goodbye to my little babies.
It is hard to even remember what the first days were like.
They went by so slow at the time - yet now they are gone.
Never again will I hold them on my chest in a little ball as they finally calm down and drift off to sleep - now they drift off in the safety of their own cribs.
People are often amazed to hear that I have nursed both babies. And, I admit the first weeks were overwhelming. But, now I actually relish in the time spent with them. It is nearly the only time I have one - on - one with them. And, just about the only physical thing that I alone can give them and I love that.
I often wonder how I will ever "let go" of my children.
How will I ever be able to say good- bye to them as we drop them each off at ASU?
But for now I will brace myself for the next six months- as I am certain more challenges await. But, I could not help but think, "It's all over now!" as they chomped down on some rice cereal.
Livy and Isaac love their big brother.

They liked the cereal a lot. Especially Isaac, but they really loved the spoons.

"Ahhhh, that was good!"

2 comments:

Wes W. said...

Shannon,
I know how you feel. Little Lucy will be two in December and it's weird to think that my baby will be two. Luckily she still likes to snuggle (and she still has a bottle in the morning. It's like her cup of coffee:) But I feel like it's so fleeting. How long will her feet still be chubby and her cheeks be so round? I am trying to cherish every moment as my baby becomes a toddler.

This is Erin, by the way, not Wes:)

Angela said...

Haha...I love that you already have a college plan for your kids! :)

I know how you feel though. My "baby" is 2.5 and there is nothing baby about him. It's the beautiful and sad thing about motherhood.

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver