CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Monday, February 9, 2009

Throwing the (Almost) Perfect Shower

Sunday I threw a baby shower with my friend Ashley. I really love to throw a shower. I have hosted many a shower and I used to think I would like to be a caterer. However, now I realize that I would NOT be very good at this- I just like to do it for my friends. I think my favorite showers ever would have to be the one my best friend Robyn and I threw a few summers ago- can any readers guess what it was? And, the second shower would have to be Robyn's shower for her first child. I will put some photos below. Here are some shots of the shower yesterday, a couple things I have learned about throwing showers, and some recipes. Enjoy.


Baby food game. Taste and guess what the baby food is.

Rule #1 on throwing a baby shower... people DO like to play games. However silly they seem. Usually there will be a few outspoken ladies that groan about playing games... but, it just a cover. Games are a big hit. Everyone likes to win and to get fun prizes they would not usually splurge on. So, RULE #1- PLAY A GAME (or two)

Here is the spread of food from yesterday... we had a brunch theme and had scones with clotted cream and jam, fruit salad, sausage balls, quiche, cucumber sandwiches, pimento cheese sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, cinnamon bread with sweet spread, muffins, and dessert (pictured below).


So here is RULE #2 about showers - GO BIG WITH THE FOOD! Even though people say it is not needed it is always really enjoyed and people like to eat the foods and drink the punch they never get to.


A brunch favorite - English Scones with clotted cream, jam and lemon curd. Here is the recipe for the Scones- the best and easiest one i have found. These are just plain scones - slightly sweetened, but you can add currants or blueberries or an extract for flavor. I like to get my flavor from the jam, cream and curd (curd is good y'all - try it sometime- ugly name - good spread!)


Basic British Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch of salt
1/4 cup of butter or margarine
(margarine actually works better although I don't usually have it on hand)
1/8 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons milk


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet or line with parchment
2. Sift the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough milk to make the dough soft (it may take more than the recommended 1/2 a cup - just keep stirring in a LITTLE at a time)
4. Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly and roll out a 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into preferred shape- I usually cut triangles - but many people cut circles with a biscuit maker - it really does no matter - they all taste the same.
5. Place on baking sheet and brush with the milk- it will form a nice glaze when baking.
5. Bake at 425 for 10 -12 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool completely enjoy with clotted cream, lemon curd, jam, etc.



Easy Clotted Cream


Okay - if you have never heard of this it is basically an unsweetened whipped cream with just a hint of flavor. real clotted cream is just mad from unpasteurized milk - but is too hard to make in my opinion - and it can be hard to find unpasteurized milk. But this recipe is fast and easy and tastes great - but should be eaten with the jam or lemon curd or apple butter - or whatever sweet spread you have.



1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

1. With a mixer, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
2. Remove from mixer, and hand whisk in sour cream and powdered sugar - just until combined.
3. Serve chilled and store leftovers in fridge.





Sunday Best Fruit Salad
Easy and pretty fruit salad- people always seem to love it.
1 20 oz. can pineapple fruit chunks, juice reserved
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 21oz can peach pie filling
2 bananas peeled and diced
3 kiwis
1 pint strawberries
(if on sale I usually add some blueberries too)

1. In a small bowl toss the chopped apples in the reserved pineapple juice. Allow to sit for 5- 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the peach pie filling and pineapple chunks.
3. Remove the apples from the pineapple juice and add to pie filling mixture.
4. Add chopped bananas to reserved pineapple juice -let sit for 5- 10 minutes.
5. Peel and slice kiwi and chop the strawberries.
6. Add them to the mix.
7. Remove bananas from pineapple juice and add to the mixture.
8. Stir well and then store in fridge until you serve.

One of my favorite showers ever...
if you recognize whose shower this was leave a comment!
RULE #3 OFFER SOMETHING GOOD TO DRINK This shower was on a really warm summer day so we made a trio of flavored teas. They were a big hit (yes i still remember what people like after 3.5 years!). Punch is always a great choice - people love it and they will never make a batch for themselves. Fresh lemonade is also a good choice in summer or hot cider and homemade hot - chocolate in winter.

RULE # 4. MAKE IT PRETTY. My best buddy Robyn carved this watermelon and arranged the fruit. She is really good at stuff like this and pretty herself. Pretty goes a long way.



RULE #5 HAVE A CORSAGE FOR THE HONORED GUEST. This was a bridal shower and we (I think really Robyn made it) a simple and elegant corsage with real flowers. But, this weekend at the baby shower Ashley made corsages out of fru fru storks and they were adorable. You can turn about any small thing into a corsage I have seen teethers, baby socks, and baby pins. Just make sure you honor the mother or bride with one- it is the little touches that go a long way.


RULE #6 HOST WITH FRIENDS AND FOR FRIENDS. Hosting with people (I love to host with my best friends Sarah and Robyn - they just think like I do and are experts at entertaining) helps relieve the burden of time, energy and let's face it finances. Hosting for people will really bless them and you in the process.

So who can you host a shower for... I already have the next one in mind... for a miracle baby and a great friend. All my other shower throwing has been a warm up to celebrate her little bundle of joy arriving July 2009.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Shannon! You are AMAZING (well, I always knew that ;) ) I'm going to hire you for my next baby shower . . . how much do you charge? Seriously.

Melissa said...

i love doing them, too. it's so fun to be a part of people's lives during that time. i was so sad to not be there on sunday, esp. after reading this!!!

Unknown said...

Okay, I've got to comment on this one! First, I'm not going to say whose shower it is, because of course I remember since it was at my house! We'll let someone else get that one.. Second, you left off a key component of a Shannon shower - food labels! I think they're key and people always love knowing what they're trying. The last thing I've got to say is - you're so good at documenting your life with photos!!! I'm chronically bad at doing something that took way too long and never even taking a photo (like the watermelon basket). What would I do without you!? I would forget!!!

Angela said...

I don't know if the last picture is a clue, but if it is, then that shower would have been for Miss Corrie Burch. I totally agree with all your rules for shower throwing! I love throwing a good party...and wish it weren't getting to be a lost art!

Anonymous said...

You are such a great hostess, no matter what the event! The brunch food from the shower reminds me of the afternoon tea that O'Henry Hotel does. We should go sometime as a girls outing.

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver