CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Camp Willow Run!!


Well, I have been procrastinating posting about the best part of our summer. But, after coming back and back to these pictures which were waiting for words, I have decided there really are no good words to describe this place... so here goes... 

In college, John and I were privileged and blessed to spend our summers at Camp Willow Run. We worked as counselors, ski boat drivers, and co - head counselor. I am not exaggerating when I say the nine collective months I have spent there were the most spiritually influential of my life. It was fun and exhausting and stretching and formative. I learned that I like papayas. I learned what I would be if I were not a counselor. And, I learned that you can goosh louder than you can splash. 

I am so thankful I was able to serve at CWR.
My time there shaped me as a teacher, wife and mother. 

The last summer we worked there was 2000. We were married the next summer and started our "real" life. But, every summer part of me has longed for this place. I  enjoyed where ever I was, but I missed CWR. 

This summer something incredible happened... our eldest was old enough to join the "Good Ole Gospel Train" himself. It was surreal to drop him off...to be on the "parent- side" of camp instead of the "staff" side. 

Buying a minivan really didn't make me feel old, but dropping Ethan off this summer made me feel ancient!

Checking out the lake and the dock before registration. We chose to look around on the hottest day of summer!
Ethan was fortunate to have his all - time best bud join him at camp and in the boxcar this summer. In the picture above the two tallest boys stayed and their siblings all wished they could. 

At the climbing wall. The boys were not old enough for this rec area yet - Ethan choose canoeing, archery/ riflery, and basketball as his three rec areas for the week.

A little time in low ropes before checking in and finding out his boxcar.

Ethan all moved in and ready for the swim test! He chose a bottom bunk - his best bud was on the top bunk.
CWR doesn't have any cabins! Instead, they have old boxcars that have been fully renovated.  So thankful for his great counselor, Chris, and all that he taught Ethan this summer. So many people asked if we were nervous to drop Ethan off at over night camp for the week. Honestly, anywhere else I would have been. But, I think I have already established how great this place is- I trust the full time staff completely and they always hire awesome summer staff! My only nervous point was that he would put on sunscreen everyday- and he did!

"On the Right Track"


Excited for the week. Two minutes later they were begging us to leave...
Ethan loved camp, he still maintains that it was the best part of the summer (and we went to Disney folks!).
He was heartbroken to leave (just like we always were!) and is counting down the days until the Father/ Son Retreat in April! 

Truly, one of the things I am the most thankful for in this life is that God allowed me to work at CWR. And, even though it makes me feel so old, I am so happy to pass it on to my children. 
There's a sweet sweet spirit in that place.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to send my girls to CWR! What a special place! So many years later and I still remember how awesome and life changing my time there was.

The Cox Family said...

We feel the same way about CWR too. What a blessing to serve there and we can't wait to send our boys!

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver