Our town, like many other Eastern towns, is home to a battle from the Revolutionary War. Each MArch on the anniversary of The Battle of Guilford Courthouse war reenactors come and reenact the battle at a local park. This year we went and watched the reenactment and walked through the soldiers camp. The kids (well, mostly the boys) really enjoyed watching and asking questions.
If you are particularly interested in the battle itself you can click on the link above to educate yourself.
Below are some pictures of our day.
As you can see the soldiers also reenacted dying. This was the hardest part to explain and do the gravity of war justice. I majored in history and I love to study the past, but studying and retelling death and war that is a serious endeavor not to be taken lightly. To drop the assumed glamour and see the boys who bled and died on our soil- that is a real challenge- especially with 7 and 4 year olds.
I was impressed with the historians knowledge at the reenactment and how soberly he handled retelling the war. We will definitely attend again.
No comments:
Post a Comment