CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Whole New World

So, we moved to the mountains at the worst possible time! It is officially blizzard season here - and every other day the local weatherman calls for snow squalls... yes squalls folks!

John and I went to college here - and although it was cold and it snowed- it was nothing like this! We could (pretty much) always get out and about. Those days are gone!

School has been out for five days (Ethan only went for two before the snow started). There is no end in sight. I don't think I have ever longed for spring as much as I do now! Thank God for a warm house.


Our snow covered front yard on Saturday. We have even more snow now.
We probably have close to two feet on the ground at our house.


Our driveway has disappeared. The van cannot make it up and even John's expedition has been unable to make it up the hill... he slid off last Friday during the snow storm and we had to call AAA. (There has NEVER been a road or a hill the 4WD Expedition has not been able to get up - this is a whole new experience for us).


The van has been covered and at the end of the driveway since last Wednesday night... this is a record for the longest time not driven! On the weekend and at night we have been driving John's car. During the day I have not left with the kids. For five days!


Even our bear is snow covered!
(Can you see him carved into the tree there- he is looking at the house).


The major highway hear our house... we have driven on it at least a hundred times this was the worst (Saturday morning) I had seen it. It was passable, but slow going.

Even the college here shut down today. In the 4 years I went to that college it only closed once.

It is nuts here... we need some more snow day activities! Play dough, snow cream, markers, movies, and toys are just not cutting it anymore! Any ideas??

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Girl, that is crazy even for that area!

Here's some things we've been up to in our ice storm:
blanket forts
Floor mural (large paper on floor to color)
play tunnel
read a Bible story and all act it out (lost sheep, lost son, noah's ark, etc)

Another idea:
Wacky Olympics - create an obstacle course (can even go through it backwards); Hot wheels target practice (who can slide cars across kitchen floor and get points for knocking into various blocks); Wacky dress up competition or they can work together and dress up YOU; wacky lunch (lay out a wild variety of foods and they have to come up a wacky sandwich that they will actually eat!); build something with small marshmallows and pretzel sticks; they even can make up their own wacky awards.

Praying for sunny weather to come your way!

millie smith said...

oh shannon...YIKES! no snow day activities are coming to mind immediately aside from any crafts from my all time favorite Family Fun magazine (online too I'm sure). been thinking of you all so much and will be praying for the snow to let up and melt quickly!

Karen P said...

I hope things have gotten better! I can't imagine! Although when i was a kid the highlight of winter was snow cream - looks like you probably got your fill! Is Ethan liking school? Hope everything is going well!

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver