CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Oh how I love the Amish

On Saturday we made a day trip to Hamptonville, NC. Only about an hour from our house they are home to the only settlement of Amish in North Carolina. John and I have been looking for a place to buy wheat berries and we found an Amish general store in said town. I was skeptical, not really believing that it would be a true Amish store. You see, I was born in Amish country (Ohio) and I adore the Amish and Amish Country. We like to go whenever we get the chance. I have seen many Amish folks (and have attempted to talk to several, but they are not the friendliest folks to outsiders- and for your own general knowledge NEVER try to talk to their children- they find this extremely offensive). Anyway, had my doubts that this would be a real Amish store. I was pleasantly surprised...
The gorgeous North Carolina country side. Right beside the store.

Saw this right across the street. A REAL horse and buggy complete with bonnet headed Amish woman inside.

Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy. I took it through our car window. I did not want to roll down the window and stick my head out. I was afraid this would not come accross like "I love and respect your culture" but rather "Check out these freaks!".

Again, cute pony right outside the store.

Behind the store, a horse and buggy repair shop.

Shiloh General Store.
Complete with sign on the door that read "Modesty Appreciated". LOVE IT!
I really wanted to take a picture of the sign - but again I did not want to come across like I was mocking.
And, what did we see when we first walked in the door???
A real Amish man behind the counter. (He was actually very friendly - to John especially- it is not considered proper for them to be friendly to another man's wife).

Anyway - if you want to take a cute day trip google Shiloh General Store in Hamptonville, NC. They do not have a website or take credit cards (how could they - they are really Amish). But, they do sell Amish hoop cheese, roll butter, wheat berries, raw honey, homemade preserves (we bought blackberry), Amish meat, Amish ice cream, and much more. (On a side note- if you have not tasted Amish cheese - you have never tasted cheese).

1 comment:

Amy said...

OMGoodness...this is so exciting! If you make a day trip to see the Duggars, let me know. I'm in.

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver