CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Pink Palace

Well, I am 95% finished with Livy's room, and since I am (always) slow to finish the last 5% I thought I would go ahead ans show it to you...
As you can see- Liv had one request "PINK"!

Here's the stuff I did...
  1. Bought a quilt on clearance from Target. This set my color palate.
  2. Started with Laura Ashley "petal" on the walls,
  3. Painted an OLD hope chest that came out of my great grandparents house. It used to be light blue- now it is Laura Ashley Magenta,
  4. Made 16 pom - poms to hang from the ceiling,
  5. Painted a recycled (from John's old office) cork board,
  6. Painted and hot glued ribbon on a recycled (from Adelphe) dry erase board,
  7. Purchased curtains (I gave up sewing for lent several years ago and I never intend to go back) and hung them one snowy afternoon,
  8. Painted wooden flower shapes and made a ribbon garland with them,
  9. Purchased some cute accessories from Hobby Lobby (love that place!),
  10. Spent 15 hours and burned my index fingers making a flower lamp shade,
  11. John purchased and hung new blinds,
  12. Bought and hung Pottery Barn Kids flower petal pink canopy,
  13. John painted a full size bed we happened to have in the attic (but we did not like the color),
  14. Bought new bed and mattress from local outlet,
  15. After a month of working tucked my happy big girl into her big girl room!






This is the chest that came from my great grandparents house in Dayton. primed, painted pink, then painted the flowers on.


A view of the pom- poms. If you want to make some for your little girl or for a shower or birthday party- here is the tutorial I used.


Here is the lampshade I made- I will post a tutorial later on how I did it. I was trying to copy one PBK is selling for $99 (and yes, that is just for the shade). I thought I could do it for a lot cheaper. It was not really that cheap... I bought the fake flowers from the dollar tree- but it took 28 stems (7 buds on each stem) and the cost of the lampshade ($8) and two packs of hot glue sticks ($6). So, after spending so much time and frustration on it - I think I would rather have just boughtnother cute lamp. But, it's done now, and Liv is forbidden to ever touch it!!







I made this hair bow holder for Liv about a year ago... still love it. Sort of planned the whole room around it.




The happy lady and her new favorite doll, yes Tina it is Tinkerbell!
Still to be done...
  1. Find affordable girly chandelier to install and throw out old brass ceiling fan
  2. Paint another sign with Livy's name on it
  3. Paint another sign with a special message to Liv
  4. Eventually get new floors- kids are so hard on cheap carpet!

4 comments:

Atkinson said...

her room is so sweet-i love it!! you did a great job!

Courtney said...

love it! Well worth all the time! I have the same cross from Hobby Lobby in Hannah's room... and I made her a bow hanger that is very similar to yours! Love the pom poms!!!

melanie said...

so cute. love the rose lampshade.

Sydney said...

Your little girl is awesome. I LOVE this picture of her in her new room.

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver