CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa

Friday, June 5, 2009

A Baby Shower

Is it weird to post about a friend's baby shower?? What about if you helped throw it? What is you are so excited about the coming baby that you praise God for the child all the time?? I have debated about this post- because I am not sure if it is a little creepy... you will have to decide. But, I am so thrilled for my friend Amy I am going to take the chance. I hope she will forgive me any creepiness...


Welcome Baby Ellie... short for Eliana... due in Just 6 weeks. Eliana means "God has answered". See Amy (good friend) thought she could not have kids. She thought this for 9 years - medicine and evidence told her so... prayer and an acting God changed this. Can't wait to meet you baby girl. You are a longing fulfilled.

All good showers have good punch... this was Kim's creation a good friend of mine and the main hostess. I have a similar recipe that makes a ton and is always a big hit - you can make it with any kind of jello to change the flavor...

Red Party Punch

Ingredients:

3 (3 ounce) packages strawberry flavored gelatin mix
9 cups boiling water
4 cups sugar
9 cups water
2 (46 fluid ounce) cans pineapple juice
2 cups lemon juice
4 (2 liter) bottles ginger ale

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the strawberry gelatin mix and 9 cups of boiling water. Set aside. In a large pot, bring the remaining 9 cups of water to a boil. Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Pour the sugar water into the gelatin water, then stir in the pineapple juice and lemon juice, mixing well. Pour into four 1-gallon size resealable freezer bags, or pretty Bundt pans to freeze.
2. To make punch, place one of the frozen portions into a punch bowl, and pour 1 bottle of ginger ale over.

Time: 20 minutes Prep, plus freezing time. Yield: Four batches


There are not many things in the world of cooking I do really well - but this recipe always pulls a lot of compliments. It is actually pampered chef - but since I do all the chopping when I make it - I will claim it. Seriously it is ridiculously good! Try it this summer...

Apple Berry Salsa

Ingredients:
2 Granny Smith Apples- peeled & diced
1 pint strawberries, diced
2 kiwi, peeled & diced
1 small orange
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons apple jelly

Directions:
1.Place peeled, cored and chopped apples, peeled and diced kiwi, and hulled and diced strawberries in a medium bowl.
2. Zest orange and add about 1-teaspoon zest.
3. Squeeze half of the orange juice into the mixture.
4. Add brown sugar and apple jelly.
5. Mix gently and refrigerate until use.
6. Serve with baked cinnamon chips.

Time: 15-30 Minutes Yield: 3 cups



Baked Cinnamon Chips

Ingredients:
10 (7 inch) flour tortillas
Water
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Lightly spray tortillas with water
3. Sprinkle tortillas with cinnamon and sugar mixture
4. Using a pizza cutter, slice the tortillas into 8 wedges each
5. Arrange wedges on a greased baking sheet in a single layer
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are golden brown and crisp
7. Cool completely before eating

Time: 20 minutes Yield: 80 chips


Good friends to play games and provide presents.



Cute diaper wreath made by my friend Anna.

Okay - and here is something I am really proud of - I made this hairbow holder and painted it "all by myself". I made one for Livy too- anywho - have a baby girl and I will make you one.

Livy's gift to Ellie, her favorite baby doll.
If you are wondering who the adorable youngster in the photo with Amy is - it's my friend Kim's daughter. She is very close to Amy and the most energetic and encouraging little thing ever.

Okay, so you might be wondering why I gave her a gift wrapped in Christmas paper... Did I run out of baby wrap? Does not really seem like me...
And, I didn't...
My favorite gift we gave Amy was a Jesse Tree Set.
Never heard of it - check it out here...
and here is the book we use to go with our set of ornaments...
You hang an ornament each night on a separate little tree and read your kids a story about the coming of the Christ child. It's awesome- but you can't buy it (the set, not the book, obviously you can buy that). I made this set for Amy with a group of about 20 other women. Anyway...
This is one of the best ideas we ever started doing with our kids. Every Christmas celebration should include one. Amy made several sets for friends over the years- but soon she will have her own daughter to bless and teach.

I threw in a tacky Christmas (blinking) bib for Ellie and a sleeper.

There's the set in the cute box - sorry I did not get a close up.


The Shindiggers. Love these ladies like sisters.
Shannon, Ida, Anna, Amy. Monica, Karen, Kim and Meredith.



5 comments:

Scott and Robin Ann said...

Shannon--I definitely need one of those hair bow holders! Let me know if you'd be willing to make one for Abbie!
Robin Ann

Amy said...

GURL, I have been waiting for this post for a week! I don't think it's creepy at all!!

First, the punch is fantastic and the Fruit Salsa is amazing! Especially since I refuse to do all the chopping involved so I only have it when you make it! I ate it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday!

My fav-o-rite gift you gave me was the Jesse Tree as well. Love it and I can't wait to use it!

Sister, you are such a blessing to me! Thank you for a beautiful shower; a dream come true! Thank you for walking on this journey with me and for your prayers. Love ya girl!

And all you shindiggers out there reading this...I love you guys too! Thank you for celebrating with Jason and I...for your constant prayers and for your generosity. Kim, WHAT A NIGHT! Down to the last detail - gorgeous! I was blown away...I thank the Lord for you all and your friendships!

Laura said...

how fun! loved the pics and recipes and gift ideas. love the jesse tree idea and the hairbow holder! seems like you have a really neat group of friends . . . and what a reason to celebrate!! love, Laura

Carrie said...

I have a girl! Very cute. I love it. How are you doing, by the way? Daniel lost his job so life has been crazy. Miss hearing from you!

Kim said...

Good post! Can't believe it took me 5 days to check your blog- I wasn't even thinking that you would be posting about the shower. Not because of creepiness, though.

We can't wait for Miss Ellie!
Kim & Maren (fellow blog-stalkers)

“When I was young, I said to God, 'God, tell me the mystery of the universe.' But God answered, 'That knowledge is for me alone.' So I said, 'God, tell me the mystery of the peanut.' Then God said, 'Well George, that's more nearly your size.' And he told me.”- George Washington Carver