I don't know if it is just my kids, but lately they are not really that interested in toys. They would rather play with just about anything other than toys. Their favorite non- toys are measuring cups, whisks, water, paper towels, boxes, dirt, leaves, mixing bowls, and books. Don't get me wrong, there are several toys I would not even think to part with, Woody and Jessie, Puppers, cars, baby dolls, a Fraggle Rock guitar (I got it for a quarter and it is missing a string, but my kids have played with this for hours on end), and some various VeggieTales toys. But, honestly, I think I could get rid of the rest of our toys and they would not even notice!!! After moving box after box of toys and seeing how they barely even touch them, I am tempted to try it. Honestly, does more "things" really make anyone's life better???
So after a morning of hearing Ethan complain about being bored with his toys I decided to put him to work. I set him tot he task of washing the windows in our house- and he loved it! After 30 minutes of spraying wiping, and repeating (with joy) - I was left wondering what other child labor laws I can break! Below is the worker in action!!!
3 comments:
I have just been through that here! I bought a few shoebox sized plastic containers ($1 each at Walmart) and separated toys. The kids are actually playing more with them. I did a box for cars, super heroes, baby things, ponies...I think because they can see them (and all the pieces) they are more interesting! Hope that helps.
Great idea! Jaxon cleans toilets and loves it! : ) HAHA
Ditto on the separate containers! It really helps. It also helps with clean-up. Rotating toys is also helpful. I take things out of circulation periodically and move which toys are in which rooms.
Caleb is reading now (And Joshua is close...he's a spelling fiend), so they spend a lot of time with magnetic letters, making words and sentences. We read a lot of non-fiction and other stories (like Aesop) to broaden their minds, which helps a lot with imaginative play. Play-doh also requires imaginative play and some days entertains them for hours.
Definitely key in on the chores they enjoy doing: Joshua loves to dust-bust, Caleb likes to fetch things from the downstairs fridge, and ask them for help.
Sometimes the toy boredom is just a phase too... good luck!
Post a Comment